From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Motto||求眞 篤信 力行|
Motto in English
|Truth, Faith, Deeds|
|Location||Xitun, Taichung, Republic of China (Taiwan)
|Affiliations||Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia|
The name "Tunghai" is the Wade–Giles romanization of the Chinese characters 東海 (Dōnghǎi in pinyin), literally meaning "the east coast of the Taiwan Strait".
HistoryTunghai University was founded on Ta-tu Hill, west of Taichung City, in 1955 by Methodist missionaries. The school was named "Tunghai" ("east sea") based on its position east of the Taiwan Strait.
List of presidents
- Beauson Tseng, 1953-1958
- Teh-Yao Wu, 1958-1972
- Ming-Shan Hsieh, 1972-1978
- Ko-Wang Mei, 1978-1992
- Ta-Nien Ruan, 1992-1995
- Kang-Pei Wang, 1995-2004
- Haydn Chen, 2004–2012
- Ming-Jer Tang, 2013-
AcademicsTunghai University is organized into eight colleges which contain 35 academic departments. Tunghai has always had a deep respect for the arts and humanities and the eight colleges continues and further expands the university’s horizon.
- Chinese Literature
- Foreign Languages and Literature
- Graduate Institute of Religious Studies
- The Chinese Language Center
- Animal Science
- Food Science
- Hospitality Management
- Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science
- Industrial Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Business Administration
- Information Management
- International Business
- Life Science
Social Science College
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Social Work
Fine Arts and Creative Design College
- Fine Arts
- Industrial Design
- Landscape Architecture
Extension Education School
Chinese Language CenterOpen since 1971, Tunghai's CLC was the first language training center in central Taiwan, and has seen thousands of students from around the world learn Mandarin.
Library holdings include, approximately, 600,000 volumes, 6,515 current serials, 21,523 electronic serials, nonprint formats, and rare books.
Student societiesTunghai has more than one hundred student societies.
The Wei-Mei Climbing Wall was completed in 2004, in memory of Wei-Mei Lin, a leader of the Mountain Climbing Club, who died in a mountain accident in 2001. It is 12 meters high and 9 meters wide. In 2007, the wall burned down. It is now being rebuilt.
- Pan Shih-wei, former Minister of Labor
- Tu Weiming (1961), ethicist and New Confucian
- Kris Yao (1975), architect
- Ping-hui Liao (1976), professor of Taiwan studies
- Yu Shyi-kun (1985), Democratic Progressive Party politician
- Kevin Tsai (1985), television host on Kangxi Lai Le
- TC Lin (1988 exchange student), filmmaker, photographer, and writer
- Ben Wang, professor of materials engineering
- Yang Mu, poet
- Chiu Ching-chun, Magistrate of Hsinchu County